Saturday, January 15, 2011

Back To Benjie's Nook

It's been a while... a lot of things happened to my life since I last posted from this blog. I stopped drawing when I learned that my loving wife, Liezl was ill. That was September 2009. We learned by December that she was suffering from Stage 4 lung cancer. When Liezl died last March 8, 2010, the more I lost interest in holding a pen and draw. A month after her death, I tried drawing again. Now it is becoming a therapy in my healing process.

I am very grateful to Mr. Danny Gregory for showing me the way. I have read and was inspired by his books "Creative License", "An Illustrated Life" and "Everyday Matters". Coincidentally, I just learned from his blog that he also lost his wife, Patti, last March 2010 and like me is still grieving and healing from his loss. It's tough what we both have went through and I just wish him the best. Again, my heartfelt appreciation to Mr. Gregory for the inspiration.






Liezl, my bestfriend and soulmate. Thank you for everything.

11 comments:

Vicki Holdwick said...

Benjie,

I am so sorry for your loss. Your sketch of her is beautiful and full of life.

I look forward to watching your drawings as you work your way out of your grief and back to life.

Take care,

xoxo

Sandi said...

I lost my partner to lung cancer in Dec 2008. I found I could not draw or do anything of that nature for awhile also. It seemed to take me to a place which was too close to the deep pain that my soul was in. I just got back to it in a bigger way this fall. I am sending positive thoughts your way. Take care.

jill said...

Sorry for your loss, I love your drawings and look forward to seeing how it develops

rrARTz said...

art can be some of the best therapy out there! keep on doing it!

kazumiwannabe said...

I feel sad for you and your beautiful wife. Your drawings are great - I hope you'll keep on drawing and posting. I think Danny Gregory's books have felt like a life line to a lot of people.

Sandra said...

You have so much to give with your art. I hope that you can continue to find it a part of your healing process.

Unknown said...

I am so very sorry for your loss! Danny Gregory's books have helped so many people; I don't even think he realizes just how much. Welcome to EDM. Your work is wonderful!

nanke's stuff said...

I am truly sorry for the loss of your beautiful wife. I'm glad you're finding making art healing and comforting. Welcome to EDM - I'm looking forward to seeing more of your wonderful work. nancy

Lynn said...

Your drawings are wonderful and I hope we see more of them. Sorry for the loss of your dear wife.

Alex said...

Nice sketch. Sorry for your loss.

winna said...

Beautiful work ....lovely face with speaking eyes...Bless Your Heart !